Friday 12 February 2016

Random Thoughts: Being A Woman.

·   0

By Unique.

" Ssh, don't talk about sex that way, you're a woman ."
"Close your legs, sit well, you're a woman "
" Don't dream too big, you know you're a woman "
" Don't buy that car or else you want to chase potential husbands away."

As a young girl taking her first steps into womanhood, I'm caught in between worlds. I often find myself struggling in a world made up of conflicting messages about who a girl is and her role in the society. Last year, when I was in the village, something happened that irked the very core of my being.
It was on Christmas day, I just finished consuming a plate of well prepared Afang soup and fufu and I decided to take a stroll, maybe attend the ongoing Christmas festival, hang out with friends and catch some fun after all, it was Christmas.
I changed my clothes, applied my lipstick then went ahead to inform Mom. She ended up saying, "You're a girl, leave this festival thing to the matured ones".
I reminded her that my kid brother left home immediately after church service and her reply was, "He is a man, his own is different".
Isn't that what I am talking of here?

Why do society think men can follow their dreams, behave the way they like while women are expected to stay in the background?
Even in this 21st century, women are excluded from discussions about war and certain national issues and are given roles with issues that has to do with health and family. Even some families feel incomplete without a male child.
The most annoying part is when paid service providers end up saying,"Leave am, na woman or I get her type for house", even when they are at fault. And I'm like, "so bloody what?"
"Cause you have my type at home or because I am a lady gives you enough reasons to hold me like a pinch of salt while expecting me to carry you like a bag of fufu?"
Well, let me tell you an old story in a new way. Let's see how well you know it.
I'm an easy going person, to me as long as you do your job properly, speak in a neutral tone and understand that you're providing a service, while I am paying for it, there will be no plight. Sometime ago, I was inside a bus heading to point C, so I paid the driver to take me to point C. There were other passengers in the bus as well, going to point B. The driver seeing that most of the passengers were stopping at Point B, asked me to stop there also that he couldn't drive me alone all the way to point C. During this minute, the driver was extremely rude and commented in a hostile tone,"Come down here oh, I no fit carry only you go there o, the place no even far, just trek small, you go soon reach" I think you can get the point of the story already .I was in a pretty good mood then, so it didn't affect me like upset me but it got me thinking," what if I was a guy, will he have said that in such a rude way?"

Why do society treat women as property?

To be continued....

Subscribe to this Blog via Email :

Please drop your comment